ProjectC70’s Engine Clean Is Finally Done!

So as the Title of this Article Reads, ProjectC70’s mega engine clean is finally finished! – Over the course of a month she has went from a car with a dirty unloved engine bay to a car which bay looks as if you could literally eat your dinner from it! Here’s how it went from unloved to shimmering:

Now when I started to take the C70 to the likes of Tartan Tarmac Meets, I always noticed one thing wrong with my car – I was always embarrassed to open the bonnet and show off the engine to the other like minded petrolheads due to the engine being so dirty, something had to be done so for the last month or so I’ve been doing a mega engine clean to her.

The first thing I done was removed all the hoses and connections to get to the old & rusty jubilee clips and clamps as they were the originals and were severely rusted into place, that meant i had to drain the coolant, the power steering bottle, remove the top coolant hose, remove the air filter lid, remove a hose for the turbo amongst many electrical connections and other wiring, at first it seemed as if i’d bitten off more than i could’ve chewed but i had an idea of what i was doing so there was no going back – it had to be done!

After replacing all the clips with new ones and putting the hoses back where they were, the next step was the actual engine clean itself – now for this step I had been suggested by friends to use Autoglym Engine Degreaser and Rubber & Vinyl Cleaner for a brilliant result but before that i had to prepare the engine for the clean, so for that I used Silver Waterproof, Heatproof & Rustproof Tape and my god it has to be the best tape i’ve ever used, when applied it looked and felt like I’d wrapped the electrical connections and wiring in Kitchen Foil, once the tape was applied i got round to cleaning the engine!

Now at first the hoses and plastics came up a treat but after hosing the cleaning products down i started to notice that the plastics had started to fade which didn’t look good against the shiny hoses and clips so something had to be done! – And thanks to a close friend of mine named Richie, I was told to go and experiment with Autoglyms Bumper Gel to work in conjunction with the engine cleaning products to bring the shine back up on the plastics, also while I was there I also got told to buy wire wool drill attachments for the embedded dirt on the metals and the Manifolds as a normal detailing brush wouldn’t get rid of the dirt. Once the bumper gel was applied and the metals polished up with the wire wool attachments the engine started to really take shape – it started to look as if a brand new engine was fitted into the car it was that clean!

The only thing which had to be done was a new Power Steering Bottle to be added alongside some fresh power steering fluid and coolant as they had been drained, the reason why the power steering bottle was replaced was because there was a hairline crack in the bottle and also the seal in the cap had worn down so it was pissing it’s fluid everywhere which didn’t look good and also didn’t do the steering any good neither. with a new bottle in place and new fluids in the bottles the car was ready to be started after it’s month of sitting with it’s throat cut!

Now this was the bit i was dreading – with the reason being I’d never done an engine clean before in my life on any car I’d previously worked on, one wrong move on my part and the engine could’ve been toast but after checking every single hose, electrical connection and every part of the engine and making sure all the fluids were in with no leaks I decided to start up the car and she sprung into life on the first turn of the key, no spluttering or nothing – Who says Volvo’s can’t be reliable! After constantly checking on the car for about 10-15 minutes checking every bit of the engine bay for any leaks i was satisfied that she was fixed, best bit of all was the temperature gauge, it was sitting exactly where it should be which made things so much better as I could finally calm down and celebrate a little bit. However this was in no way the C70 finished as i had a little trick up my sleeve to further improve the cleanliness of the engine and that was to replace the old rocker cover screws for new ones for the rocker cover, cam cover and the fuel rail cover, this was probably the easiest and least stressful part of the engine clean as all I had to do was remove the plastic parts of the engine and put in new screws and clean up any bits I’d missed one last time with a wire wool attachment.

​With the new screws in place and the engine having a proper clean up she is now looking a million dollars, I’m not one to blow my own trumpet but I have seriously outdone myself with the engine clean, I never thought she’d look this good when she was finished – best bit of all now however is I can now finally show off the cars engine to fellow petrolheads without feeling embarrassed anymore!

Hope You Enjoy!

By Alex Jebson

Leave a Reply